Thursday, July 9, 2009

The New Kid on the Block

It's not what you think! Although, I wish I could say that they were coming to town, again, and that they were going to perform privately for me and some friends, again. Ok, the last one didn't happen.

I'm actually referring to this new cupcakery called Big City Cupcakes. Cool place. Very minimal decor. I don't know if its intentional, maybe because they've just opened and they haven't really gotten around to it. I don't know. It's nice though, it's good that the main focus are the cupcakes. Obviously. Cupcake store.

So, I had previously posted about the other cupcakery, Cupcakes, but I realized that I didn't actually talk about the quality of the cupcake. I thought should take this opportunity to do a comparison. Neato.


Alright! So my girlfriend and I tried out the new cupcake joint, which is located on Howe and Nelson, if any one is interested, today after work. Of course, my eyes were hungrier than my stomach and I went all out. I bought 6 cupcakes. Dammit. No! 7 cupcakes! I had to leave with a cupcake to eat right then!
From the top, left to right...
  • Strawberry cheesecake cupcake, vanilla cake, filled with cheesecake, strawberry buttercream
  • Coconut cupcake, vanilla cake, some kind of hardened icing (maybe a poured fondant-I don't know), with shredded coconut
  • Truffle cupcake, chocolate cake, filled with ganache, iced with ganache and chocolate flakes
  • Chocolate covered strawberry cupcake, chocolate cake, strawberry buttercream, I don't know if it's filled. It's too pretty to eat. I'll get over it soon.
  • Chocolate-coconut cupcake, chocolate cake, that same hardened icing, shredded coconut, and chocolate swirlies on top.
  • New York Cheesecake cupcake, chocolate cake, filled with cheesecake, cream cheese icing.
They are really good. But here's the real BUTT.

Too sweet, some weren't really moist and fluffy, the icing had kinda gritty mouthfeel... what else. Some of the Big City Cupcakes that I did try weren't balanced, in sweetness I mean. For example, the coconut cupcake with the chocolate drizzles on top. The icing on top was hard, too sweet and also had sweetened coconut shreds on top. The cake inside was dry... it was sweet at all but the icing overpowered everything. I couldn't even enjoy the ganache filling.

The other joint, Cupcakes, I find their cupcakes to be moist and balanced. AND reasonably priced. The other place is kinda pricey, but they do use quality ingredients and I'm sure it takes some time and labour to fill cupcakes.

I don't know maybe I'm biased and I haven't tried all that Big City has to offer. I'll keep you posted.



No comments: