Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I wish life was a musical...

I love musicals.  Awesomeness in the form of catchy songs and intricate dance routines.  From the first time I watched the making of Miss Saigon, the 1983 original with Lea Salonga as its Kim, I've wanted to be in musicals.  I can sing...at least I think I can sing....NO!!  For the love of Rob Pattinson, YES!  I can sing and I've always believed , of course with the right training, I will sing in a musical... but I won't dance.  I want to... but I find it somewhat difficult to carry myself...

...without falling.

My love of music started when I was a wee one.  I grew up in a musical family.  I had relatives that sang in the church choirs, played instruments, sang songs on the minus one... karaoke forever.  Then I discovered musicals.  At the age of 8 or 9 years old, I was able to sing Miss Saigon in it's entirety!  I didn't understand the weight of the words I was singing but I would sing it! "They are not nice they're mostly noise. They swear like men, they screw like boys..."

Yah.  I would get a nice pinch on the arm for singing that.  

But I was hooked.  The singing and dancing, fancy costumes.  I especially love the way people would go back to their normal activities after the number was over...like nothing happened.  I wish life was like that.  Like at the end of the "America" number in West Side Story, where at the end of the song yelled "OLE!", final pose... laughed (like.."Oh. Whatever.") and went off to their war council.  Awesome.

I take it somewhat seriously when i get to singing the showtunes.  I get into character...singing at the tops of my lungs.  That's right the pinnacle of my lungs.  The tops.

This clip is pretty much sums it up.  



1 comment:

Unknown said...

You can totally sing, no maybe about it.